The Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens is a large-aperture lens specifically designed for EF-S type digital SLR cameras, and that offers a super wide angle to short telephoto zoom range, with built-in Image Stabilization. The focal length is equivalent to approx. 27-88mm in 35mm format.
To meet user demands for a fast EF-S zoom lens, Canon has specially designed a new lens with a large aperture of f/2.8 for select Canon Digital SLR cameras. The large circular aperture produces a shallow depth-of-field, creating background blur that draws attention to the photographic subject. The lens construction includes UD and aspherical elements, which deliver impressive image quality throughout the entire zoom range.
With a Ring-type USM, inner focusing and new AF algorithms, this lens achieves autofocus quickly and quietly, and with full-time mechanical manual focusing, manually adjusting the focus is possible even in AF mode.
This lens features Canon’s latest optical Image Stabilizer technology, providing up to 3-stop compensation for image blur caused by camera shake and slow shutter speeds. This ensures clear, crisp images, even in dim light.
Designed specifically for digital photography, the lens has specially shaped lens elements and Super Spectra coatings to suppress ghosting and flare, which can be caused by reflections off digital camera sensors.
- Uses optics designed to take full advantage of the small image circle and short back focus in EF-S lenses
- Features three aspherical lens elements (two types) as well as a Super-UD glass element for high image quality at all focal lengths
- Optimized lens coating minimizing flare and ghosting prone occurring with digital cameras
- Ring-type USM provides ultra-quite, super-fast, precision auto focusing and predictive tracking
- Inner Focusing and new AF algorithms, with full-time mechanical manual focusing
- Circular aperture diaphragm produces brilliant out-of-focus characteristics
The Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens, with a fast, fixed f/2.8 aperture, very high image quality, 3-stop Image Stabilization and a very popular focal length range, is one of the best general purpose lenses available.
If you want a high-quality Canon-brand mid-range zoom for your Canon small-sensor digital SLR, you have a choice between the Canon 17-55/2.8 and… nothing. Fortunately, this is a very high quality lens indeed, with a constant f/2.8 aperture and image-stabilization.
- Bright f2.8 aperture throughout zoom range
- Effective anti-shake IS capability
- Fast and quiet USM focusing motor
- Superb low-light performance
- Relatively expensive
- Construction not Canon L standard yet
- Range shorter than cheaper EF-S 17-85mm
- Lens hood and pouch are not included