The Canon EOS 5D offers advanced photographers a lightweight, robust digital SLR that uses Canon’s superlative EF lenses without a conversion factor. Its full-frame 12.8 Megapixel CMOS sensor combines with Canon’s DIGIC II Image Processor, a high-precision 9-point AF system with 6 assist points, and “Picture Style” color control to deliver images of superior quality with enough resolution for any application. With its wide-angle capabilities, 2.5 inch LCD and magnesium-alloy body, the 5D is the perfect addition to the Digital EOS line.
- Small, lightweight full-frame digital SLR with a 12.8 Megapixel CMOS Sensor and superb image quality.
- DIGIC II Image Processor for outstanding image quality and performance – 3.0 fps for up to 60 consecutive JPEG or 17 RAW frames in a burst.
- New larger 2.5 inch LCD screen can be viewed even at extreme angles up to 170°.
- New “Picture Style” function for superior command of in-camera color, contrast and sharpness.
- High-precision 9-point AF with 6 additional Supplemental points surrounding the center point for superior focus tracking.
- Strong and light magnesium-alloy body with new shutter durability-tested to 100,000 exposures.
- Compatible with over 50 Canon EF lenses and most EOS System accessories.
The EOS 5D is a fantastic photographic tool which is capable of producing really excellent results. The caveat is that it takes a little more care and understanding of your equipment (especially lenses). We found resolution to be absolutely excellent with crisp detailed results straight from the camera (JPEG) and even more detail available if you shoot RAW. Different ‘looks’ can be easily achieved via Picture Styles (almost like changing film) and the range of in-camera image parameters has been expanded. Noise levels are essentially identical to the EOS 20D as is dynamic range, this is neither a surprise or a disappointment, it simply means consistency and the maintaining of an expectation built by Canon in the performance of its CMOS sensor.
The Canon EOS 5D is the essential camera for everything that photographers used to do with 35mm film. It is more than good enough for most professional photojournalism applications, but still simple enough that a yuppie can get one to throw in the glovebox of his BMW SUV and take pictures at the school soccer game.
Want to create a new Digital SLR category? Take a Canon 20D, enlarge the mirror box, viewfinder, sensor and price – and you have a Canon EOS 5D – the smallest, lightest, full-frame Digital SLR available today. And with 12.8 megapixels of Canon CMOS resolution, the Canon EOS 5D offers excellent image quality at a great price.