A bit of history. Ever since the Canon EOS 50D is released, people in the photography arena have been kept talking about it’s successor. It is due to the reason that the EOS 50D was released (in a rush) as an answer to the highly successful Nikon D300 at that time.
Owners of the older EOS 40D did not find the EOS 50D as a viable upgrade due to the little improvements that it offers over its predecessor.
Since the announcement of the EOS 50D on August 2008, a lot of things have changed. Approximately a year after that (on September 2009), Canon fights back with the revolutionary Canon EOS 7D. The EOS 7D gains a lot of success and it’s considered as the best crop body available on the market to date winning the European Advanced SLR Camera 2010-2011.
Today, the highly anticipated successor of EOS 50D that people have been discussing all their life have been announced! It’s the new Canon EOS 60D that sits in between the EOS 50D and EOS 7D.
Here’s the important bits that matters:
- 18-megapixel image sensor with a 4-channel readout that’s closer to the 550D (vs. the 8-channel readout on the 7D)
- Advanced iFCL metering system (Same as 550D and 7D)
- 9-pt AF all cross-type; center cross to f2.8 (Better than 550D)
- ISO goes up to 6400 normally, and 12,800 on expanded range
- 5.3fps (Faster than 550D)
- SDXC cards as storage instead of CF
- Shoots video at 1080p at 24 and 30fps, 720p at 60fps, in H.264
- 1.04-million-dot swivel screen, a first on Canon’s DSLRs (but a standard feature on Sony’s alpha series for a while)
- Built-in microphone is mono, but has a stereo mic input; it has a wind filter and the same sound controls as the 5D Mark II
- Built-in wireless flash controller like the 7D
- Shutter life rated at 100,000 instead of 150,000 of 50D and 7D’s.
- In-camera RAW image processing (Eg. brightness, contrast, white balance or correct distortion or chromatic aberration) and saving as JPEG.
- NO micro-adjustment feature mentioned.
And specifications comparison chart. Credit to CNET.
| Canon EOS Rebel T2i / 550D
||Canon EOS 50D||Canon EOS 60D||Canon EOS 7D|
|Sensor (effective resolution)||18-megapixel CMOS
|15.1-megapixel CMOS||18-megapixel CMOS
|22.3 mm x 14.9mm||22.3 mm x 14.9mm||22.3 mm x 14.9mm||22.3 mm x 14.9mm|
|Sensitivity range||ISO 100 – ISO 6400/ 12,800 (expanded)||ISO 100 – ISO 3200/ 12,800 (expanded)||ISO 100 – ISO 6400/ 12,800 (expanded)||ISO 100 – ISO 6400/12,800 (expanded)|
|Continuous shooting||3.7 fps
6 raw/34 JPEG
16 raw/90 JPEG
16 raw/58 JPEG
15 raw/94 JPEG
magnification/ effective magnification
|95% coverage 0.95x/0.59x||96% coverage
|100% coverage 1.0x/0.63x|
|Autofocus||9-pt AF center cross-type||9-pt AF center cross-type||9-pt AF all cross-type; center cross to f2.8||19-pt AF all cross-type; center cross-type to f2.8|
|Shutter speed||1/4000 to 30 secs; bulb; 1/160 x-sync||1/8000 to 30 secs; bulb; 1/250 sec x-sync||1/8000 to 30 secs; bulb; 1/250 sec x-sync||1/8000 to 30 secs; bulb; 1/250 sec x-sync|
|Shutter durability||n/a||150,000 cycles||100,000 cycles||150,000 cycles|
|Metering||63-zone iFCL||35 zones||63-zone iFCL||63-zone iFCL|
|Video||H.264 QuickTime MOV 1080/30p; 720/60p||None||H.264 QuickTime MOV 1080/30p/25p/24p; 720/60p/50p||H.264 QuickTime MOV 1080/30p/25p/24p; 720/60p/50p|
|LCD size||3 inches fixed
|3 inches fixed
|3 inches articulated
|3 inches fixed
|Battery life (CIPA rating)||550 shots||640 shots||n/a||800 shots|
|Dimensions (inches, WHD)||5.1 x 3.8 x 3.0||5.7 x 4.2 x 2.9||5.7 x 4.1 x 3.1||5.8 x 4.4 x 2.9|
|Body operating weight (ounces)||18.6||29.8||26.6 (est)||35|
|Mfr. Price||$799.99 (body only, est)||$1,099.99 (body only)||$1,099.99 (body only)||$1,699 (body only)|
|$899.99 (with 18-55mm lens)||n/a||$1,399.99 (with 18-135mm lens)||$1,799.99 (with 18-135mm lens, est)|
|Ship date||March 2010||October 2008||September 2010||October 2009|
- Canon EOS 60D DSLR announced and previewed by DPReview.com
- Canon’s New EOS 60D Digital SLR Camera Unleashes the Creative Potential of Digital Photography and EOS Full HD Video with New in-Camera Imaging Features by marketwatch.com
- Canon 60D Impressions: The Perfect Video DSLR Keeps Getting Closer by gizmodo.com.au
- Hands-on preview: Canon 60D delivers major changes over 50D by cnet.com