The Pentax SMCP-DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited Lens is designed to be extremely compact and lightweight, compared to conventional macro lenses. Designed specifically for digital SLR cameras, this lens provides one-to-one magnification in a normal focal length. It provides a focal view equivalent to 52.5mm in 35mm format.
The 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited’s elements have been treated with Pentax’s acclaimed Super-Multi-Coating for maximum light transmission, sharp definition, and high contrast, while minimizing flare and ghost imaging.
In addition, SP coating is used on the exterior element to protect the lens against water and grease. The high-grade aluminum construction of the lens barrel, hood and cap ensure maximum durability.
- Compact lens with one-to-one magnification in a normal focal length
- High-grade aluminum construction of the lens barrel, hood, and cap
- Quick-shift Focus System for instant switching from auto focus to manual focus
- PENTAX SP coating protects the exposed lens elements
- Developed specifically for PENTAX digital SLRs
- Focal length equivalent to 52.5mm in the 35mm format
The Pentax SMC DA 35mm f/2.8 Limited macro is a undoubtedly a high quality lens but it does not excel. The center performance is great straight from the max. aperture whereas the corner performance is slightly lower than expected for a “Limited” lens (still on a very good level in absolute terms). The lens produces only a very slight barrel distortion and quite moderate vignetting but lateral CAs are a bit on the high side for a newly designed fix-focal length lens. The bokeh can be busy at medium focus distances but it seems fine in macro situations. The pricing of the DA 35mm f/2.8 is fairly moderate (~320€/450US$) especially when considering the excellent build quality as well as its macro capabilities.