- L-Series Optics
- Optical Image Stabilization System
- 2 Ultra Low Dispersion Lens Elements
- Fast Ultra-Sonic Motor (USM) Autofocus
- Floating Focus System
- Dust and Water Resistant
- Inner and Rear Focusing System
- Close Focus – 3.9′ (1.2 m)
- Removable Tripod Collar
- Protective Fluorine Lens Coating
The Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Telephoto is designed to deliver ultra-high quality images along with lightning fast operation. The lens brings a favorite zoom range to the celebrated Canon L-series. It features 2 Ultra Low Dispersion (UD) elements for improved image quality and reduced chromatic aberration, and incorporates a floating focusing mechanism for sharpness from close up to infinity. The IS system increases usability by approximately four stops and the fast Ultra-Sonic Motor (USM) and inner and rear focusing system allows for fast quiet Autofocus as close as 3.9′ (1.2m).
The EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM features a function that prevents erroneous operation when the lens is mounted on a tripod or monopod. The gleaming white lens, with removable tripod collar, is dust and water resistant, and has a Fluorine coating that keeps soiling, smears and fingerprints to a minimum. The lens is perfect for portraiture or to bring what’s far away up close. This addition to the L-series is guaranteed to perform.
- Ultra-high quality and lightning fast Canon L series lens
- Optical Image Stabilization System increases usability by approximately four stops
- The lens features a function that prevents erroneous operation when the lens is mounted on a tripod or monopod
- The EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS USM incorporates a floating focusing mechanism for sharpness from 3.9′ (1.2m) to infinity
- Two Ultra Low Dispersion (UD) elements for improved image quality and reduced chromatic aberration
- The lens has a removable tripod collar, and is dust and water resistant
- The Fluorine coating keeps soiling, smears and fingerprints to a minimum
There are a few technical reasons to choose this over the 100-400.
- The lens is significantly smaller.
- The 4 stop IS greatly outperforms the 100-400′s IS.
- I found it sharper across the range.
- No push/pull zoom, a love or hate feature of the 100-400
- Better autofocus performance I found.
- Excellent sharpness and color
- Excellent build quality
- Autofocus is lightning fast
- The IS is among the best in the Canon lineup
- Requires a very small space in a camera bag
- The lens is very well balanced when on a camera body
- A complete joy to use
- May be priced too high for some
- Took me a while to get used to the order the zoom ring and focus ring are in
- Vignettes significantly at f/4 on a full frame camera
- Cannot use a Canon teleconverter on the lens, the Kenko Pro 300 DGX 1.4 works.
- Some might be bothered that a tripod collar is not included
Canon has delivered some great telephoto L lenses in the last few years (Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L IS USM Lens and Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM Lens for example), and it looks like the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS USM Lens will be added to that “great” list.
If you want pro-grade image quality, pro-grade build quality, fast/quiet AF and excellent IS in a relatively light lens, the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS USM Lens may have your name on it.