- Non-Circular Fisheye Image
- Equivalent to 16mm On a 35mm Camera
- Developed for Use with Nikon DX Format
- Ultra-wide Picture Angle of 180 Degrees
This ultra-wide-angle, frame-filling fisheye, designed exclusively for use with Nikon’s DX-format, delivers incredible images with a 180-degree angle of view.
The Nikon 10.5mm f/2.8G ED DX Fisheye Lens was designed specifically for use with Nikon D1/D2-series, D70 and D100 digital SLR cameras. This 10.5mm lens provides digital SLR camera users an extreme picture angle, equivalent to that of a 16mm fisheye lens on a 35mm  format camera.
The lens is targeted at Nikon DX Format digital SLR camera users who seek the unique visual effects a full-frame fisheye lens lends to landscape and other shots, to taking close-ups, or when shooting within vehicles or other tight interiors. This 10.5mm fisheye is a DX-frame-filling fisheye lens, which means it fills the entire rectangular image with a curvy, distorted image and sees 180° from corner to corner diagonally. It is not a circular image.
Optical and close-range focusing performance are both optimized for Nikon DX Format digital SLR cameras. The ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass element minimizes chromatic aberration for clear, natural colors, and the rounded seven-blade diaphragm opening ensures a natural look to out-of-focus elements.
This G-type Nikkor lens is designed with no aperture rings, and offers easier, virtually mistake-free operation because the aperture does not need to be set to minimum.
- Fast, ultra-wide angle G-type DX Nikkor is designed exclusively for use with Nikon digital SLR models.
- Equivalent to 16mm focal length on a 35mm.
- Extra-low Dispersion (ED) glass element minimizes chromatic aberration.
- Close-Range Correction (CRC) provides high performance for sharper images when taking pictures up close.
- Delivers high-performance focus at extremely close range; a minimum focus distance of 5.5″ (14 cm) — only 1.2″ (3 cm) from the lens front.
- The rounded diaphragm opening (7 blades) makes out-of-focus elements appear more natural.
- Nikon D-type design provides precise distance information for flash and ambient light exposure processes.
- Fixed flower-shape barrel-type hood greatly reduces stray light.
You know if you need this.
This is a very special $610 full-frame fisheye lens for Nikon’s DX digital SLR cameras. It becomes much more practical when you use DxO or Fisheye-Hemi software to stretch the images back into something useful. I only bought my 10.5mm when I got this software.
- Close focus, with 14cm as the closest focusing distance you can make some really dramatic images.
- Price, compared to the full frame 16mm this 10.5mm has a way nicer price tag on it.
- Size & weight.
- Full frame fisheye for Nikon’s DX cameras.
- Contrast, is pretty good wide open.
- DOF markings, Depth Of Field markings are provided.
- No infrared compensation marking.
- Lens cap, the plastic lens cap provided with the lens is not good enough as it falls off easily.
- CA is present in pictures taken in high contrast situation. used in the worst of lighting conditions the lens can show some CA from f/2.8 to f/16. This can largely be corrected in post processing. Using Capture NX2 CA was removed without too much trouble.
- Gelatine filter system, for some this might be a plus, but I would rather have the screw-in rear filters that the 16mm has.
- Autofocus compatibility. As this lens is of the older screw type AF(see picture below), it will only autofocus with cameras with a built in AF motor.