- High Resolution 16.3MP CMOS Sensor
- Speedy 7 FPS Captures Fast Action Shots
- High Sensitivity 80-51200 ISO Range
- Responsive, Accurate 11-Pt Autofocus
- 1080p HD Video at 25 FPS
- 3″ LCD With 921,000 Dots of Resolution
- Fully Weather-Sealed and Coldproof
- Magnesium Alloy & St Steel Chassis
- Highly Accurate 77-Segment Metering
- Shake Reduction Image Stabilization
Pentax steps up and delivers a top-of-the-line APS-C camera–the Pentax K-5 Digital SLR Camera Body, featuring a low-noise 16.3MP CMOS high resolution sensor, sensitivity up to a best-in-class ISO 51200, 7 frames-per-second shooting capability and a responsive, high-precision 11-point auto-focus system. With the free firmware update to Version 1.01, the number of consecutive RAW and high ISO shots able to be captured in high speed mode before buffer slowdown has been improved from 8 frames to approximately 20 frames. A high performing PRIME II imaging engine produces rich-gradation, very high resolution digital images. Plus, full HD video at 1920 x 1080 pixels.
The K-5 makes advances in plenty of other areas as well, such as faster autofocusing speed, and an upgraded High Dynamic Range (HDR) function that can even be used without a tripod. A bright, clear 3″ LCD display with 921,000 dots resolution makes it easy to compose and review your images, or use the bright viewfinder for composition, secure in the knowledge that the highly accurate 77-segment metering system will deliver the goods every time. Shake Reduction image stabilization makes it possible to shoot at 2.5 to 4 shutter speeds slower without seeing camera shake in your photos. A lens is not included.
And all of this photo goodness is packed into a body of sturdy, lightweight magnesium alloy on a chassis of stainless steel. The 77 special seals in the body give you a dustproof, weather-resistant and cold-resistant camera, for reliable operation in harsh conditions, at temperatures as low as 14°F (-10°C). An extremely reliable shutter unit provides a top shutter speed of 1/8000 second and is tested to 100,000 shutter releases. A stellar performer.
- High resolution 16.3 megapixel CMOS sensor w integrated AD conversion circuitry
- High sensitivity 80-51200 ISO range with improved noise performance
- Speedy 7 FPS captures fast action shots
- Highly responsive and accurate 11 point SAFOX IX+ autofocus system with dedicated AF assist lamp and light wavelength sensor
- Widescreen 1080p HD video at 25 FPS, with sound via built-in or external 3.5mm stereo microphone jack
- Large 3″ LCD with 921,000 dots of resolution
- Fully weather sealed and coldproof design
- Durable magnesium alloy covers surround a rugged stainless steel chassis
- Highly accurate 77 segment metering system
- Pentaprism viewfinder with 100% field of view and 0.92X magnification
- Pentax body-based Shake Reduction (SR) stabilization system
- A maximum 1/8000 second shutter speed
- HDMI port outputs high definition images and video (and sound)
- Native support for both PENTAX PEF and Adobe DNG 14-bit RAW files
- Improved in-camera HDR image capture
- A wide range of in-camera image processing and special effects filters
- Customizable RAW/Fx button
- Built-in electronic level with tilt scale display
- SDXC memory card compatibility (via firmware update)
The new K-5 brings all the things that we liked about the K-7 – the compact, solid body, and generally well thought-out ergonomics, and excellent feature set – but adds substantially better image quality, in both still and movie modes, and a host of other improvements. In our opinion this makes it one of the best APS-C DSLRs currently on the market.
It is hard to find a negative thing to say about the Pentax K-5. Most of our criticisms are very minor, and as a consequence we would wholeheartedly recommend the camera to any Pentax user. It is an interesting camera, with an excellent feature set, and one which is capable of producing images which are up there with the best of its competition. It is fast, responsive, and very enjoyable to use, and its key systems are as reliable as we would expect from a camera at this level and price point.