With an easy-to-use interface housed in a compact body, the new PENTAX K200D contains all the advanced imaging technology of the award winning K10D and is designed for users who may be unfamiliar with DSLR cameras but want a camera that will allow them to grow as they learn about photography. With 10.2 megapixels and a 2.7 inch wide view LCD, this model features many of the award winning advancements of the PENTAX Series including:
- Auto Picture and Scene modes that offer shooting ease, while advanced modes, such as the Sv mode, allow photographers to grow with the camera.
- A weather and dust resistant body, unique in this class of cameras, that allows photographers to keep shooting even in harsh conditions.
- Custom Image functions that allow users to select between six preset options and further adjust image processing, including saturation, hue, contrast and sharpness. The K200D also offers an Expanded Dynamic Range function that allows users to gain more contrast and detail in bright settings.
- An improved Dust Reduction system that features the new Dust Alert function to pinpoint the exact location of dust particles for the photographer to remove.
- A PENTAX-developed Shake Reduction (SR) system for sharp, blur-free images even under difficult shooting conditions, such as macro and telephoto photography or low light settings without a flash.
1. PENTAX-original SR (Shake Reduction) mechanism for sharp, blur-free images
The K200D is equipped with the PENTAX-developed SR (Shake Reduction) mechanism, which effectively reduces camera shake for sharp, blur-free images even under demanding shooting conditions, such as when using a telephoto lens, shooting in the dark or at night without supplementary flash illumination, or using extended exposures for sunset scenes.
This innovative mechanism shifts the position of the CCD image sensor vertically and horizontally at high speed using magnetic force, while adjusting the shifting speed in proportion to the amount of camera shake detected by a built-in sensor. It offers an outstanding compensation effect, equivalent to approximately 2.5 to 4 shutter-speed steps. As a result, it does not require special anti-shake lenses, and can be used with almost all existing PENTAX interchangeable lenses.*
* Lenses compatible with this mechanism are: the PENTAX K-, KA-, KAF- and KAF2-mount lenses, screw-mount lenses (with an adapter); and 645- and 67-system lenses (with an adapter). Some functions may not be applicable with certain lenses.
2. High quality image
The K200D combines a large, high-performance 23.5mm x 15.7mm CCD image sensor with the sophisticated PRIME (PENTAX Real Image Engine) as its imaging engine. With its approximately 10.2 effective megapixels, the K200D produces beautiful, fine-detailed images with subtle gradations and texture descriptions. In addition, the K200D features Custom Image function that helps to create its intended images by allowing the users to select one of the six modes and adjusting the image’s finishing touches to their presence.
3. Comprehensive Dust Removal system with prevention, removal and confirmation devices
The K200D features the user-friendly Dust Removal (DR) system to prevent dust from appearing in images. Applied to the CCD surface (or low-pass filter) through the vapor deposition of a fluorine compound, the PENTAX-original SP (Super Protect) coating effectively removes dust and stains from the surface. In the next step, dust that still remains on the surface will be shaken off when the SR system shifts the image sensor at high speed. Finally, the dust that is shaken off the image sensor will fall onto an adhesive sheet positioned at the bottom of the SR unit, eliminating any possibility of it returning to the image sensor surface. This DR system even offers a new Dust Alert function, which allows the user to confirm the dust-adhesion status of the CCD in advance.
4. Dust-proof, water-resistant construction
The K200D boasts an extremely reliable dust-proof, water-resistant construction, with special seals applied to 60 different parts of the camera body, including the shutter release button and switches/levers/dials. This dependable body makes it possible to use the K200D in the rain or dusty locations without worries.
5. Auto sensitivity control up to ISO 1600
The K200D’s auto sensitivity control function automatically sets the optimum sensitivity up to ISO 1600, based on such data as the subject’s brightness level and the lens’ focal length. Since this function allows the user to use faster shutter speeds in poor lighting situations (such as indoor sports events and night scenes), it helps the photographer to effectively reduce camera shake and prevent blurred images. For specialized applications, the sensitivity can be set manually from ISO 100 to ISO 1600.
6.High-precision 11-point wide-frame AF
The K200D’s advanced SAFOX VIII autofocus system features 11 sensor points (with nine cross-type sensors positioned in the middle) to automatically focus on the subject with utmost precision, even when it is positioned off center. When the subject is captured in focus, the in-focus sensor point is automatically superimposed in red in the viewfinder for at-a-glance confirmation.
7. Bright, clear viewfinder
Combining a lightweight penta-mirror prism with a PENTAX-original finder optics and the acclaimed Natural-Bright-Matte II focusing screen, the K200D’s viewfinder delivers a large, bright image with an approximately 96-percent field of view and an approximately 0.85-times magnification.
8. Versatile Auto Picture mode
The PENTAX-developed Auto Picture mode automatically sets the most appropriate shooting mode (such as Portrait, Landscape and Macro) for a given subject or situation. Since the K200D not only sets an aperture and a shutter speed, but also adjusts white-balance, saturation, contrast and sharpness levels, the photographer can concentrate on image composition and shutter opportunity.
9. Large 2.7-inch wide-view LCD monitor
The K200D features a large 2.7-inch color LCD monitor with approximately 230,000 dots on its back panel. The LCD’s wide-view design allows the photographer to check the monitor image from approximately 160 degrees both vertically and horizontally. It even offers digital zooming of playback images up to 20 times for easy confirmation of focus.
10. Other features
- High-rigidity stainless-steel chassis
- Choice of 16-segment multi-pattern metering, center-weighted metering and spot metering to accommodate various photographic applications
- 22 custom functions to personalize camera operations
- Approximately 1100 images can be taken when using AA size lithium batteries due to its energy saving design
- Compatibility with conventional SD and large-capacity SDHC memory cards
- Simultaneous recording of RAW- and JPEG-format images
- RAW button for single-action image-file switching
- Eight digital filters for creative and artistic expressions
- In-body development of recorded RAW-format images
- Compatibility with SDM equipped lenses for quiet, extra-smooth autofocus operation
- PENTAX PHOTO Laboratory 3, RAW data processing software and PENTAX PHOTO Browser 3, browser software, included on the accompanying CD-ROM